The official history of the Hebrew University begins at its opening on Mount Scopus by Lord Balfour on 1st April 1925.
However, the foundations were laid much earlier. Before the first stone of the University was even laid (in 1918, by Chaim Weizmann) some of the great visionaries of our time foresaw the creation of a State of Israel and planned for the establishment for a centre of academic excellence.
A group of those visionaries became the University’s first Board of Governors. It included Chaim Weizmann, Albert Einstein, Sigmund Freud, Martin Buber, Chaim Nachman Bialik, Cyrus Adler, Yehuda Magnes, Ahad Ha’am and Rabbi Avraham Kook.
Their vision was to create the Hebrew University of Jerusalem: an internationally respected academic institution which would serve as Israel’s leading educational establishment and provide the Jewish people with the cultural, spiritual and intellectual resource of their heritage and facilitate the training of new generations of scientists, philosophers, statesmen, teachers, agriculturalists and business entrepreneurs for the developing needs of a new nation.